Sea going Ship
- Intial survey and Classification
- Survey for class Maintenance
- Class suspension and withdrawal
- Who is responsible for Design Review and Approval?
Who are the designers?
- The Rules Dept.: Design review and Approval of sea-going ships.
- The River-going ship Dept.: Design review and approval of river-going ships.
- The Industrial Dept.: Type approval of industrial products.
- Offshore Dept.: Offshore structures design review and approval.
The designers are the entities who are in compliance with the standards and
conditions which are specified in the Government regulations, for example, operation license, sufficient conditions for designing.
Design submitted documents
3.1 Number of documents and document format Design documents to be submitted for review and approval are to be at least in three (3) sets which are in the formants specified by the relevant Vietnamese standards.
The number of drawings and calculations are required by specific Rules and Regulations the ships are applied for.
3.2 Sea and River Going ship design:
(1) Technical design for new construction, conversion:
- For sea-going ships: The design are to be in compliance with the requirements of Chapter 5,
Part 1-A, Chapter 2, Part 1-B, item 2.1.2 and other requirements of the applicable Rules.
- For river-going ships: The design are to be in compliance with the requirements of Chapter 2,
Part 1-B and other requirements of the applicable Rules. - For conversion: The number of drawings
and calculations are to be agreed by VR.
(2) Working design:
Working design are the detailed drawings and calculations based on the technical design and approved by VR.
The drawings are to indicate clearly the dimensions of structure items, permitted tolerance.
The design are for real construction and survey and determination of construction quality.
(3) Construction completed design:
The design includes all alternative and/or additional drawings and calculations The drawings are to indicate clearly the dimensions of structure items, permitted tolerance.
The design is for VR to approve for class assignment and maintenance of a ship.
(4) Additional documents:
In addition to the above documents, the followings are to be submitted, if applicable:
Time for design review and approval
- Written request for design review and approval (specified form);
- Ship special requirements, if applicable;
- Contract of design, if applicable.
From the date of receiving the required design documents, the designers shall be informed of the results of review and approval, to a period as follows:
(1) For river going ships (technical design): not later than 5 working days.
(2) For sea-going ship new construction:
- ship of less than 1,600GT, sea-going passenger ship of more than 200 passengers: not later than 20 working days.
- Ships of 500 -1,600 GT, sea-going passenger ship of 100
- 200 passengers: not later than 15 working days.
- Other sea-going ships: not later than 10 working days.
(3) For conversion of sea-going ships:
Time for design review and approval is one second as required for new construction.
(4) For design of novel ships of ship of 5,000GT and above, the time for design review and approval shall be agreed between VR and the designers or their accredited agent.
Fees for design review and approval:
A designer or ship owner is requested to settle the fees for design review and approval
to VR in accordance with the contract signed with VR or the amount of fees charged according to the applicable tariff which
is enclosed with the results of design review and approval.
Software programs for design review and approval:
The important software programs for design review and approval are as follows:
- BOSUN - C: For ship hull, Part 2A of TCVN 6259-2: 1997;
- BOSUN - CS: For ship hull, Part 2B of TCVN 6259-2: 1997;
- IPCA: Ship maneuverability, damage and intact stability, loadline and subdivision;
- Other applicable software programs.
Like other Classification Societies, classification of ships is a major part of services of VR.
Classification service can be divided into two parts:
- Surveys of ships during construction;
- Surveys of ships in operation.
Surveys of ships during construction consists of two categories:
- Classification surveys and
- Statutory surveys.
Classification surveys are to comply with the applicable requirements of Standards, called Rules and Regulations for construction
and classification of ships.
Statutory surveys are to comply with the applicable requirements of international conventions and flag
Ship construction are controlled from the very beginning and include the following phases:
- Design review and approval;
- Certification of materials and equipment intended for ships;
- Surveys during construction/fabrication of ships;
- Tests at yard and at sea;
- Issue of required certificates.
1. Guidance/Instructions to Surveyors:
To help Surveyors in their field surveys, Guidance/Instructions to Surveyors are developed for them.
VR has developed a system of Guidance/Instructions to Surveyors which are in conformity with the requirements
of the certified ISO 9001 Quality Management System.
The system of Guidance/Instructions to Surveyors comprises of 6 parts:
||General regulations on technical supervision and classification
||Detailed Instructions for survey and endorsement during construction of sea-going ships
||Report Forms for new construction
||Instruction for field survey - ship hull
||Detailed Instructions for survey and endorsement during construction of sea-going ships
||Instruction for survey of LPG carrier new construction
Any enquiry for Rules, survey request, instruction/guidance can be contacted to:
The Rules Dept.
Vietnam register 18 Pham Hung, Hanoi
Tele: 04-7684704 Fax: 04-7684722
1. General Introduction
As regulated in the Vietnamese national Maritime Code, Vietnamese flag ships are to have relevant certificates issued by
VR before putting into operation. The classification of Vietnamese ships are performed by VR or other classification Society
which is authorized by VR.
2. VR key class notations
A sea-going ships under VR construction survey shall be assigned with:
- VRH: For Hull
- VRM: For Machinery
Notations for limited operation areas are as follows:
- VRH III: Limited grade III: Ship is allowed to operation not far from mainland or from a sea shelter 20 miles.
- VRH II: Limited grade III: Ship is allowed to operation not far from mainland or from a sea shelter 50 miles.
- VRH III: Limited grade I: Ship is allowed to operation not far from mainland or from a sea shelter 200 miles.
3. VR network of survey
- VR network of survey consists of 25 offices through out Vietnam with more than 150 surveyors who are willing to offer any kind of survey attendance any where in Vietnam (24/24 hour service). Moreover, VR has concluded more than 20 mutual cooperation and substitution agreements with major international classification societies in the world who can act on behalf of VR wherever VR odes not have representative.
- Almost of VR seagoing ship surveyors have been trained abroad and 30 out of them have been appointed by IACS members with to act on their behalf in Vietnam. - Any request for survey or enquiry can be contacted to:
The Classification Dept. of Vietnam Register
Application Form for request of survey/classification of ship Instruction of initial survey and
classification of ship:
For Ships to be built in Vietnam: Completed Application form and documents to be submitted:
- Technical design (drawings and calculations) Reviewed and approved by the Dept. of Rules.
- Form 1A completed by shipowner or shipyard.
- Contract signed/or to be signed with VR.
Class maintenance and certificate validity.
Ships are subject to periodical surveys including annual, intermediate, docking, renewal, ship screw withdrawal
surveys, etc. If the required surveys are not to be done in time, the equivalent class or statutory certificates shall automatically
Ship class certificate and other statutory certificates shall automatically become invalid in case of ship damage,
required repairs are not done and equipment are not fitted as requested by VR, ship carrying overload to the assigned load,
ship operating outside of the permitted areas, etc.
Ship survey status are shown and can be assessable with certified password to each owner in the database program system of VR in the Internet.
In addition, Ship survey status list shall be forwarded to shipowner by VR every three months.
Class suspension: A class of ship is suspended for a certain period, for the following reasons:
- Ship is not repaired as required, (normally more than 3 months form the due date). Or VR recommendations are not applied in due dates.
- Ship is in such condition that not in the tolerance of the applicable Rules.
- Ship after damage and not fit for the condition required by the applicable Rules.
VR shall inform shipowner when a ship class is suspended. Depending the actual condition, the ship class
certificate may be withdrawn accordingly. Shipowner has to rectify the deficiency and inform VR for survey before the class c
an be reinstated.
Class withdrawal: A ship is not assigned a class any more for the following reasons:
- Ship has undergone a series accident, for example, a collision and sank, a fire or explosion, etc.
- Due ship surveys have not been completed for a long time (for example 6 months).
VR shall inform shipowner when a ship class is withdrawn and the same to the related authorities, for example, PSC, Vinamarine, Insurers, etc. and the ship is not registered in the Register Book.
Shipowner has to rectify the deficiency and inform VR for survey with the scope as required for initial survey, (but some documents may be exempted) before the class can be reinstated.
Any enquiry can be contacted to the Classification Dept. of Vietnam register at:
Add: 18 Pham Hung, My Dinh, Tu Liem, Hanoi
Click here to display ISPS code